This project is a great way to use your scraps of pretty paper and trimmings. The ornament works best when made with card stock, or heavier paper, but you can also use regular paper or magazine covers.
Here are the steps:
1. Start with a square piece of paper, any size. The one in these pictures and the video is a six-inch square.
2. Fold and unfold the paper horizontally and vertically.
3. Mark the paper from corner to corner to create two diagonal lines.
4. Fold and unfold the paper along the diagonal lines, creating 45 degrees angles
5. Now fold and unfold each edge of the square towards the closest diagonal line (as folding a kite) creating a 27.5 degrees angle. You will have 8 of these folds.
Here comes the magic part:
6. Pinch inward at each of the horizontal / vertical folds previously made. The 27.5 degrees angles that you previously creased will bend along and create the following blossom shape.
7. As you fold the sides inward, push down on the center point with your finger to form a point and create the facets of your jewel.
8. You can now use super glue or a few quick stitches to secure the structure. You may want to insert a loop before closing if you plan to hang your ornament (this step is shown on the video).
9. Enjoy decorating your paper jewel!